Woman Issue 167
the Desk of the Editor
Welcome to the 167th
edition of the MLM Woman Newsletter. This month we're featuring articles on the importance of attending your annual direct sales conference, how to deal effectively with the challenges in your business and life, how to break through resistance and get results, and tips on how to use Twitter and Facebook to promote your business.
If you like this month's issue, please be sure to let your friends
know about it too and invite them to come and visit us. Also, if
you have comments, questions or something to share after reading
this month's articles, please visit our MLMTalk
Discussion Forum or our new MLMWomanNews Facebook Fan Page and join in the lively conversation!
And if you'd like to submit an article for the next MLMWoman
Newsletter, take a look at our Writer's
Guidelines. Don't miss out on this excellent opportunity to share your expertise with other MLM Women and get some great exposure for your business.
Yours in Success!
Linda Locke, Editor MLMWoman
The Annual Direct Sales Conference - Is it Really that Important to Attend Yours?
By Linda Locke
The answer is yes. Do you like how that was short and to the point? Let me tell you why it is so important that you go to your annual direct sales conference.
- The Annual Conference is the Best Place to Get Motivated - Need some motivation in your business? Go to the annual conference. There you will see lots of people just like you who are making a success of their direct sales businesses. You can learn what they did to get where they are and what they’re doing to stay on top!
- Incentives, Incentives, Incentives - Often companies will offer an incentive like a discounted price or free registration to the conference if you reach a certain amount in sales and/or recruits. Setting your goals to reach these incentives will not only get you to the conference, but it will give your business a boost as well. Think of all the shows you will be holding and all of the sales you will be making to reach your goal.
- The Momentum You’ll Gain is Priceless - When you get back from the annual conference, you’ll be empowered with so much knowledge and motivation nothing will stop you from reaching your sales goals and gaining new recruits. If you boosted your sales and recruits to reach a goal prior to going to the conference, you’ll have all those shows to follow up on. You will be rolling along nicely in your business and your excitement will rub off on your new and potential recruits. They will want to sign up right away when they see how excited you are.
- The Knowledge You’ll Learn is Invaluable - Most annual conferences offer classes you can take while there. These classes will teach you how to be more successful in your direct sales business. The classes are usually taught by people at the top, who were once where you are right now. They will teach you how to get to the next level of your business.
- The Camaraderie is an Experience All Its Own - Everyone attending the annual conference has something in common with you. You will make new friends and possibly even meet a new mentor or role model. There won’t be a luncheon or banquet you will attend where you won’t have something to talk about with someone else.
- Big City Life Changes Everyone’s Point of View - Going to a big city where annual conferences are usually held, is an experience you will never forget. It really changes your perspective on things and makes you realize this world isn’t so small after all. There really are a lot more resources out there than those from a small town may realize. If you’re from a big city already you may meet someone from a smaller town and can learn from them as well. They know how to approach people on a personal level (because they probably know, or are related to, just about everyone in their town). The small town folks can teach you how to make a sale without sounding like someone who is only out to make money. Step aside pushy salesman, hello sincere friend or neighbor.
If your sales director or recruiter has been bugging you to go to the annual conference but you just weren’t sure about it, think about it no more. Set your goals. Make your plans and GO. I promise you won’t regret it. You will come back with so much excitement your mother-in-law will want to sign up. Okay, maybe that won’t happen, but I bet someone you know would be perfect for this business finally will. No more excuses. Attending your annual conference just may be the jump start your business needs.
MLMWoman is now on Twitter and Facebook. Please come and visit us and say hello!
Smart Women in a
By Joy Chudacoff
With everything that’s going on in the world right now, I hesitated to write this article. However, I felt called to share my reflections with you. There has been so much despair and devastation in the world lately that when something happens to us personally, we can try to shrug it off because “compared to what’s going on in the world, this is minor.” (This has been my “mantra” over the past week.) Although I believe this to be true, when something happens to you personally, it feels real and challenging. It can paralyze you and keep you from moving forward. It’s essential that you acknowledge what’s happening and find solutions to manage the madness of life.
In the past week, I’ve had major technology glitches, vendor/supplier challenges as well as a leak in our home from all the rainy weather. (Yes, it’s been one of those weeks.) Being an entrepreneur will test you in every way imaginable. The universe has a way of “checking in” periodically to see how serious you are about your intentions, your dreams, and your purpose. It will throw you curve balls to see how you respond. When these situations arise, you always have two choices: Run for cover (like jumping in your bed and pulling the covers over your head, hoping that this will all go away quickly–not very effective I might add from personal experience) or step into a place of possibility thinking and find solutions (which works beautifully every time).
If you’ve had some challenges lately in your business or personal life, and feel like you need some solutions to help you move into possibility thinking, here are a few tips that I personally use to move me out from under the covers and into being an energized solution seeker:
1. Walk it out – Grab a cup of coffee or bottle of water and hit the pavement. I find that going on a long walk, breathing in some fresh air and taking in some nature helps me refocus and reframe the situation in a more positive light.
2. Dive In - Going inward and allowing my internal voice (also referred to as your “instincts”) to be heard calmly and clearly helps a great deal. Meditation is a wonderful tool in these times. If you have never done meditation before, that’s fine. Just sit quietly, close your eyes and find your breath. Focus on breathing in and out for a few minutes. You’ll be amazed at how much calmer and more focused you feel within 5 minutes of doing this. Solitude is smart practice and one that I engage in regularly.
3. Find your Champions – This is the time to reach out to the people in your life who champion you. These are people who think you hung the moon. Avoid toxic naysayers. You know you’ve got a challenge. The last thing you need is someone to tell you that. Engage with people who have a positive attitude who truly want to see you succeed and provide resourceful contributions to your situation.
4. Take note – Take a good look at what went wrong in the situation. Ask yourself a few questions: What part did I play in this? How can I keep this from happening in the future? Become proactive and set up systems to avoid these types of situations in the future.
There’s an old saying that I’m sure you’ve heard before: ”Life happens on your way to making plans.” This is true especially for women. We wear so many hats and play so many roles for others. There are certain challenges in life that we won’t be able to avoid because life does happen. However, Smart Women set themselves up to survive and more importantly thrive in this wild, wacky world.
Anything is possible. Everything is waiting for you.
© 2011 Joy Chudacoff
About The Author
Joy Chudacoff, ICF, PCC, is the founder of Smart Women Smart Solutions®, a Professional Certified Coach to 1000’s of women, Motivational Speaker, and Entrepreneur. She publishes a weekly buzz generating ezine, Reflections On Life and Business for Women Entrepreneurs. If you’re ready take your life and your business to the next level, get your FREE Tips, 2 FREE Reports and FREE MP3 now at Creating The Spark
When Your Dirt Comes Up:
7 Ways to Break Thru
Break Out Results
by Christine Kane
A mentor of mine used to say that when a seed is planted, the first thing that comes up is NOT a sprout. The first thing that comes up is a little dirt. That's because when someone sets an intention for herself, the very first thing that happens is a "clearing out."
Our spirits are literally moving into alignment with our new intention by clearing out anything unlike that intention.
Unfortunately, this is where most people get stuck and why nothing changes. They don't know what to do when the dirt comes up.
Well, take heart! I'm the queen of setting new intentions - and yes, breaking through the dirt! And below is my list of 7 things to do to help you break through the resistance and break out the results!
1 - Call on Your Observer
The observer is the ever-present part of you that can objectively witness your reactions in any situation and recognize when you are lost in your "stuff." The observer is never judgmental. It is peaceful. It is wise.
When you consistently call on your observer, you come to know your needs intimately. For instance, some "dirty" moments might require that you step away from your desk and take a walk in the woods and stop thinking or doing anything. Other moments might be best served by simply choosing a better thought.
Knowing the difference is about knowing the self. Not in a narcissistic way. In an honest clear way.
2 - Feel a little bit better
You don't have to make yourself go from feeling awful to feeling "GRRREAT!" All you need to focus on is feeling a little bit better than you do. This releases a lot of pressure.
3 - Get Back to Basics
You may need to get back to basics with your intention. For instance, if too much dirt is coming up - you might need to shift your intention from being a gajillionaire to being worthy at all!
Sometimes people get totally excited by the notion of "Yes! Law of Attraction! I can do anything!" So they begin with the BIG affirmation. Then when the dirt comes up, there's so very much of it that they don't know where to begin.
Safety, worthiness, compassion, kindness, beauty, being loved and adored - these are beautiful concepts for beginners - AND for moments when the dirt arises.
4 - Try "Petri Dish Mindset"
Remind yourself that your whole life can be an experiment. When it comes to transformation and goals, put your life in a petri dish. Have a little fun with that idea. Say things like, "Hmmmm. I wonder what would happen if I really simply focused on _________."
5 - Containerize
Containerizing is an Intention-Within-Intention process.
If you need to talk out your fears or your negativity, then create the intention to containerize for a while. This is an off-limits "no longer creating my reality" container.
Call a friend and explain that you need a listening ear. Explain that he is not allowed to feel sorry for you or give advice. He is not to give any "power" to your story. He is there to allow the container to happen. You just need to let it out. You can also do the same in your journal. Let it all out there. Then let it go.
6 - Lose the Story
If emotions are coming up, try this.
Sit still and let the emotions be there without the story that has attached itself to them. Feel sad and allow the sadness, but make sure that the story of "how awful my co-workers are because they never invite me to lunch!" isn't part of the sadness. Most of the time, it will move through and out.
7 - Get help
Some people think I'm crazy to pay for a coach. Or to pay out-of-pocket for alternative healing modalities. I, however, know the truth. These healers are my guiding lights and objective observers - always seeing my radiance, always trusting my process. I do the same for my clients!
We have this messed-up belief in our world that we should be able to take a pill and move on with things. (Huh-uh!) Reach out and get some help. And remember that this work takes time. In fact, it will always be happening as long as you're alive! (Isn't that cool?)
About the Author
Christine Kane is the Mentor to Women Who are Changing the World. She helps women uplevel their lives, their businesses and their success. Her weekly LiveCreative eZine goes out to over 12,000 subscribers. If you are ready to take your life and your world to the next level, you can sign up for a F.R.E.E. subscription at http://christinekane.com.
Social Networking -
Tips On How To Market Your Direct Sales Business On Twitter
By Shelly Hill
If you are with one of the Direct Sales companies and trying to build a portion of your business online, it is very important to get involved with popular online social media networking sites like Twitter.com. When new business professionals start marketing their businesses on Twitter, they often make a big marketing mistake by tweeting out massive amounts of business spam messages instead of trying to network and get to know their followers.
When people join social media networking sites, they don't want to be spammed 24/7 with business messages. They do want to learn more about the company or business they are following along with the products you are marketing...but...they also want to engage in meaningful conversation with that company's consultant who is doing all of that Tweeting. In the case of Direct Sales...that means they want to engage in meaningful conversations with YOU.
When it comes to marketing your business on Twitter, here are a few important tips that you should know.
1. Try to engage your followers by asking them questions or asking them for their opinions on the products you are trying to market.
2. Don't make your Tweets all about business all of the time. Mix them up with some general chit chat topics. You can discuss non-confrontational current events or daily life topics with your followers.
3. Don't have every Tweet contain a link to your web site. That is viewed as link spam and is often reported by followers to Twitter as spam.
4. Offer up some general Direct Sales, home business, networking, marketing, etc. types of tips that you find beneficial that you think other's would be interested in. You can visit other web sites that offer home business resources and tweet out links to those articles if you are not great at sharing your own business tips. In addition, if you enjoy great inspirational business quotes, tweet out a few of those a day too!
5. Never send out out direct messages to followers with your business information in it unless that specific person has asked you for the information.
6. Never send @ mentions to people who are not following you advertising your products or services. This is considered to be @ mention spam and is reported by followers to Twitter. If people want to follow you or they want your information, they will request it from you.
7. Make sure your profile page is filled out correctly with a working live link to your web site or blog. Many times when I click on profile page links they are broken and incorrect. In addition, you will need a business logo or a photograph of yourself to use as your avatar. No one enjoys seeing the Twitter standard bluebird avatar when they are talking to someone.
8. Don't bombard your followers with too many tweets! People will quickly unfollow someone who sits on there 24/7 sending out hundreds of messages.
Marketing your Direct Sales business online can be a profitable endeavor if it is done correctly and if you work on it consistently. By following the tips I have outlined above you will have more success with your marketing efforts on Twitter.
Article Source: http://www.wahm-articles.com
About the Author
Shelly Hill has been working successfully from home since 1989 in Direct Sales. Shelly is the owner of the popular Work At Home Resource Site called Work At Home Business Options at www.workathomebusinessoptions.com where you can find free Direct Sales articles, home business tips and free resources to help you build a strong Direct Sales home business.
10 Proven Ways to Optimize
Your Facebook Page
Social media marketing is absolutely essential in today’s online business world. It has taken the internet by storm both professionally and personally. Social media marketing means to market your business with the use of social networks, blogs, message boards, discussion groups, online communities and other such media. Some of the most popular social network sites are Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn.
Social marketing involves a lot more than just signing up and pasting up your page. You need to maximize your page’s effectiveness and keep it fresh, updated and alive. Below are 10 things you can do to optimize your Facebook page to make sure your business is getting the maximum benefits.
1. Create an Effective Profile – Do not use a half-done profile. Fill in your profile completely. This is for your business so be professional yet show people you care about your customers and will be there for them. Make sure your photo (if of yourself) is professional. You could also use your logo. Let people know what your business can do for them. Write an effective mission statement. Let your visitors know why they should do business with you but be careful what you reveal for security reasons.
2. Get Your Visitors Involved in Discussions – This is a great way to get your visitors to “Like” you and to keep coming back. Start helpful and informative discussions about topics related to your products or services. For example: if you sell home decor items, start discussions about home decorating ideas, budget decorating, home improvement, etc. Encourage people to join the discussions and leave their business signature for more exposure.
3. Customize Your Page – Don’t let your page be one of the cookie cutter pages like everyone else. Customize it to fit your business needs and the needs of your visitors. Use image s that brand you and your business and make it enjoyable and memorable.
4. Events and Contests – Keep your page alive and active with special events and contests. Each time a fan RSVP’s the event, it shows up in his profile. And so on and so on. Thus creating a ripple effect for your business.
5. Special Offers and Sales – People are always looking for good deals and special offers so don’t disappoint. Show your visitors you want to give them the best possible deal on your products/services.
6. Multi-Media Integration – Use audio and video content for your page. Audio and video can be extremely effective in capturing and holding the attention of visitors. According to webnox video is 58% more effective than just using plain text!
7. Make Your Tabs More Memorable – Facebook does allow you to change the usual boring tabs to more suit your needs. Make them unique to your page and business. You can also change the order in which you present your tabs. You can find easy to follow online tutorials on how to do this.
8. Utilize Your Sidebar – Take advantage of your sidebar space. This is a great place for testimonials or newsletter sign-up forms. You can also use this space for affiliate links, a survey for your visitors to help improve your page/business. Add links to your main website or special offers you may have going.
9. Add a Poll to Your Page – People like knowing their opinion matters so add interest to your page with a poll. You can add them using a free poll creator from Vizu. Polls can attract attention and encourage your visitors to interact with your page.
10. Post Regularly – I cannot stress this enough! Do not start your page and then let it sit for weeks at a time. You have to be there every day updating, adding new content, checking things over, and finding ways to improve your pa ge. I recently started using social marketing and unfortunately need to take my own advice on this one. I have just not been involved enough with my Facebook page but that will soon be changing. The hold that social media has on the internet is astronomical so do not be left out in the cold!
So far I am involved with Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn so feel free to come over and see me. I would love to see your page as I am learning more about this phenomenal marketing tool. I hope we all can use these types of sites to help each other improve our business and increase our sales!
About the Author
Terri Seymour (also known as “The eBook Lady”) has over ten years online experience and has helped many people start their own business. Visit her site at http://www.seymourproducts.com for resources, $1 and $2 resell ebooks & software, articles, affiliate programs, RSS feed, and a free business ebook with Master Resell Rights.
to the MLM Woman Newsletter Index
We want your feedback!
Send e-mail comments to
Linda at: email@example.com